Here’s a chance to lead one of the last true copy desk operations in the Midwest where we edit and present content with a local-first mindset. Shaw Media, a news leader in northern Illinois, seeks a dynamic leader for our Content and Design operation that includes seven daily newspapers and more than 20 weeklies.
The goals for the position include:
• Work with copy editors to ensure local news coverage in print is the priority in each market.
• Nurture the staff culture to focus on collaboration, problem-solving, and creativity with an eye on ensuring our audience needs take precedence.
• Keep activity on our websites top of mind to help determine how to play stories in each market.
• Create page templates that allow for more efficiency in producing pages.
Job responsibilities include:
Coordinating with our market editors; communicating with production departments; and working with staff to maintain an open mind to a changing news industry. Come be part of the solution.
• Degree in Journalism or a related field
• Solid knowledge of AP Style and grammar
• Copy desk experience
• Prior supervisory experience
About Shaw Media:
Shaw Media publishes over 150 titles in Illinois and Iowa. Its holdings include websites, newspapers, magazines and a digital marketing services division. Founded in Dixon, Illinois, Shaw Media has been privately owned by the Shaw family since its inception in 1851.
Enjoy the Rewards of Working Among the Best:
In return for your contributions to our success, Shaw Media offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision and 401(k) with company match.
Ours is a company with ambitious goals and an eye to the future. If you’d like to join us, please apply. Forward a cover letter that explains your journalism credentials and philosophy, along with a résumé to:
Shaw Media - Human Resources
Attn: Copy Desk Lead
P.O. Box 250
Crystal Lake, IL 60039
Pre-employment drug screen and background check required.
Shaw Media is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.
This posting may not include all duties of the position.