The Newton Daily News, part of Shaw Media, is seeking a city reporter to join its award-winning news staff.
We're looking for a creative writer comfortable covering a city council meeting and breaking down a complex enterprise for our readers. A reporter who is passionate about community journalism and wanting to cover a growing market not far from the Des Moines metro area.
- Cover issues and policy developments facing the city of Newton and Jasper County
- Attend city council and county board meetings
- General assignment/feature reporting
- Shoot photos and video as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field
- 1 year of experience in a daily newsroom or strong intern experience
- Valid driver’s license, dependable transportation and proof of insurance
- Must be disciplined with meeting short and long-term deadlines
- AP Style proficiency
- Working knowledge of Adobe, InDesign, and Photoshop
- Occasional nights and weekends
About Shaw Media:
Shaw Media publishes over 150 titles in Illinois and Iowa. Its holdings include websites, newspapers, magazines, Pro Football Weekly, a video production unit and a digital marketing services division. Founded in Dixon, Illinois, Shaw Media has been privately owned by the Shaw family since its inception in 1851.
Enjoy the Rewards of Working Among the Best:
In return for your contributions to our success, Shaw Media offers a competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision and 401(k) with company match.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter explaining your journalism credentials and philosophy, along with a resume and work samples to:
Apply Now! (located below)
Or mail to:
Newton Daily News - City Reporter
PO Box 967
Newton, IA 50208
Pre-employment background check and drug screen required
This posting may not include all duties of the position
Shaw Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug-Free Workplace
BL6520Apply Now! Return to Job List